Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 250 Specific Forum
 Top 10 Reasons to upgrade to Arlyn's Steering Syst
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ssteakley
Captain

Member Avatar

USA
467 Posts

Initially Posted - 02/08/2004 :  20:35:10  Show Profile
10 You can go to Home Depot for replacement parts.
9 All work can be completed with boat in the slip/water.
8 Simple and easy to use instructions & diagrams.
7 Personal & immediate customer service by email or phone.
6 Open cable sheave system for low load/friction.
5 Easy to install,all work can be completed by 1 person with boat in water.
4 Absolutely no play in the system
3 Excellant helm response, easy to make small adjustment in rudder
2 Better than the Edson upgrade & 1/2 the cost.
1 You don't have to deal with Edson.

There is just no way to explain the difference. If you have a single cable system then I suggest that you change it to a 2 cable system as soon as possible. The weakest link is a set screw that holds the cable sheeth in the base of the pedestal...a little 1/4" set screw is all that is between the rudder and the wheel and in 15+ winds the load is just to much in my opinion. After sailing in 5-10 winds and 15-20 winds I am completely convinced in Arlyn's system. The Edson cable system is a engineering mess considering that the cable must take two 90 degeree and one 180 degree turn to connect to the rudder arm. Arlyn's sheave system takes the friction and load out of those turns and the wheel can be managed with 1 finger!...
Here are the completed installation pics,
Steve

Hey You #4455 SRFK

Edited by - ssteakley on 02/08/2004 21:13:21

Arlyn Stewart
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
2980 Posts

Response Posted - 02/09/2004 :  07:14:11  Show Profile  Visit Arlyn Stewart's Homepage
Steve called me from out on Canyon Lake on Saturday as he did his post installatin sea trials. I recognized immediately and had expected that he would be surprized by the results. Everyone who has installed the mod has sensed the same beyond expectations response.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Frank Hopper
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

Pitcairn Island
6776 Posts

Response Posted - 02/09/2004 :  09:13:47  Show Profile  Visit Frank Hopper's Homepage
It is a very impressive piece of engineering and another example of how valuable you are to this organization.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Arlyn Stewart
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
2980 Posts

Response Posted - 02/09/2004 :  13:15:13  Show Profile  Visit Arlyn Stewart's Homepage
Thanks Frank, those are kind words. The design of the conversion was a fun process. I am reminded of a Yosemite Sam sound clip I had on an old computer which responded when clicking on something that was a dead end... He would blurt out, "Darnit, thats not it! Tryit again! There were tens of sketches done over a period of six weeks before something fit that accomplished all the goals.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Oscar
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
2030 Posts

Response Posted - 02/09/2004 :  20:18:39  Show Profile  Visit Oscar's Homepage
Very nice indeed, almost makes me think about.....nah...I'm a tiller man. One question. What is the cable/wire running across the ceiling in the black clips?

Oscar

Lady Kay 250 WB #618
In the driveway in Behtlehem, PA ready to go anytime.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Buzz Maring
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1762 Posts

Response Posted - 02/09/2004 :  21:25:38  Show Profile
<font color="blue">One question. What is the cable/wire running across the ceiling in the black clips? - Oscar</font id="blue">

Hi Oscar,

I'm pretty sure that wire powers the compass light in the binnacle ... right, Steve?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

ssteakley
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
467 Posts

Response Posted - 02/09/2004 :  23:14:22  Show Profile
Yes, it is the power to the compass light,
Steve

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

ssteakley
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
467 Posts

Response Posted - 02/10/2004 :  09:01:35  Show Profile
Just in case you are interested in the upgrade kit, check out Arlyn's website: http://www.stewartfam.net/arlyn/steeringcable.html
Steve

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

ssteakley
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
467 Posts

Response Posted - 02/12/2004 :  21:37:55  Show Profile
I would be interested to know just how many 250 owners have upgraded their wheel steering system from a single cable and what system they are using and how is it working.
Steve

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

DougA
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
73 Posts

Response Posted - 02/12/2004 :  21:54:48  Show Profile
I did the Edson upgrade and the process can be seen at http://www.catalina25-250.org/tech/tech250/pullpull.html
I like the feel a lot better, the rudder turns farther in one direction that the other. Observed the same thing with a factory installed system at a boat show. I also upgraded from the v. 2 to the v. 3 rudder and am still not sure about everything yet. I still have the v. 2 modified per Arlyn's directions. I plan to attend the Regatta in Portland and will bring both rudders with me.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Arlyn Stewart
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
2980 Posts

Response Posted - 02/13/2004 :  06:33:26  Show Profile  Visit Arlyn Stewart's Homepage
When I first mentioned intentions to convert to open cables, an owner (lurker who I don't think has ever posted to the forum) emailed his conversion design. He had actually converted from the pull/pull system that had come on his boat because he was unhappy with play and drag.

I didn't follow his design which used a quadrant because it didn't fit with all my goals. It was a very fine system however and his comments cemented my conviction to go open cable because if someone who had the pull/pull two cable system was unhappy enough to convert from it... thats what I needed to hear.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Jack Schafer
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
112 Posts

Response Posted - 02/14/2004 :  19:54:17  Show Profile
What I did was add another push-pull cable to the port side and add a long stainless through bolt to the yoke. Works great and very reasonable.
Jack Schafer, 2nd Wind #106

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page